Documentary explores Alta Gracia's success
The two day conference encourages open communication between doctors and patients about obesity. MIKE MARTINOLI/THE VILLANOVAN
"Tejid@s Junt@s," a film about Alta Gracia, a fair labor factory in the Dominican Republic, was screened in Connelly Center Cinema on Tuesday, April 24.
At the conclusion of the 30-minute documentary by Will Delphia of Hampshire College, the audience groaned.
Junior Melissa Madden, on behalf of Villanova Students for Alta Gracia and Business Without Borders, stated that the University Bookstore reneged on its promise to increase orders of student apparel manufactured by Alta Gracia.
"This is not a very good reflection of Villanova," she says.
To date, this film has premiered at almost one hundred colleges across the nation. It shares the story of a BJ&B, an apparel factory in Villa Alta Gracia, Domincan Republic.
Nearly 85 percent of the town's working population was employed by BJ&B, but these workers often suffered verbal and physical mistreatment. Their wages were barely enough to help them scrape by.
However, things changed significantly when a group of women crusaded for the worker's rights, demanding better conditions and living wages. These changes were implemented just over a year ago, resulting in a dramatic turnaround for the factory and its workers.
Knights Apparel, the American business that now owns Alta Gracia, affords all workers rights and treats them with the respect they deserve.
Alta Gracia does not discriminate when hiring. According to factory worker Mariza Vargas, "Even women in the late stages of pregnancy can get a job at the factory."
Alta Gracia is monitored by the Worker Rights Consortium, which approves of the company's fair labor practices. Alta Gracia is also supported by United Students Against Sweatshops.
Alta Gracia exclusively manufactures T-shirts and sweatshirts for colleges. For the last two years, it has garnered the support of colleges throughout the U.S.
Madden visited the Alta Gracia factory last fall and has pushed for the University Shop to purchase Alta Gracia apparel.
"The successful union lets us claim and fight for our rights, but Alta Gracia only continues to succeed with the support of college students in the United States," Vargas says.
Student representatives ended the documentary by detailing the "intense" logistics involved in getting Alta Gracia products to be sold in the bookstore.
Although Villanova is an affiliate of the Worker Rights Consortium, previously, products from Alta Gracia-the only WRC-approved company-were not sold at the bookstore.
A small order was finally shipped to campus this week, but student representatives expressed confusion as to why the bookstore made this so difficult, especially considering that Alta Gracia does not cost the bookstore or students any more money.
"What we can do is to go to the bookstore and get everyone we can to purchase Alta Gracia products," Madden says, promoting the company's ethics.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent The Villanovan News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THE VILLANOVAN NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE VILLANOVAN NEWS
- Wildcats remain undefeated at home on Senior Night
- Men’s basketball will battle Bison tonight
- Women’s basketball struggles in tournament
- ’Nova opens season with two important victories
- ‘Battle of the Blue’ will conclude football regular season
- Miller defies negative stigma of star athletes
- Men’s cross country advances to Nationals
RECENT THE VILLANOVAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Tax-Savings Tips From Licensed Experts
- Not Leo DiCaprio? How to Cut Your Energy Bills Anyway
- Television Best Bets: Streaming Programs Worth Watching
- Modern Farming: Technology Helps Keep Food on the Table
- An End to Acid Reflux?
- How to Select a Contractor: Certification Counts With...
- Modern Landfills: Safe, Smart and Green
- Medicine Safety Reminders for Cold and Flu Season
- What It Takes to Get One of the Most In-Demand Jobs
- Where Do Pests Lurk? The Rooms in Your Home That Pests...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists
- 6 ‘Friendsgiving’ tips that won’t leave you stuffed
- PARAMORE UNVEIL EXPANDED DIGITAL EDITION OF BLOCKBUSTER FOURTH ALBUM
- MELANIE MARTINEZ ANNOUNCES THIRD LEG OF “DOLLHOUSE TOUR”
- Sigma Lambda Gamma National Sorority, Inc. Declared Winner of Voto Latino’s RepUrLetters Challenge