Documentary explores Alta Gracia's success
The two day conference encourages open communication between doctors and patients about obesity. MIKE MARTINOLI/THE VILLANOVAN
"Tejid@s Junt@s," a film about Alta Gracia, a fair labor factory in the Dominican Republic, was screened in Connelly Center Cinema on Tuesday, April 24.
At the conclusion of the 30-minute documentary by Will Delphia of Hampshire College, the audience groaned.
Junior Melissa Madden, on behalf of Villanova Students for Alta Gracia and Business Without Borders, stated that the University Bookstore reneged on its promise to increase orders of student apparel manufactured by Alta Gracia.
"This is not a very good reflection of Villanova," she says.
To date, this film has premiered at almost one hundred colleges across the nation. It shares the story of a BJ&B, an apparel factory in Villa Alta Gracia, Domincan Republic.
Nearly 85 percent of the town's working population was employed by BJ&B, but these workers often suffered verbal and physical mistreatment. Their wages were barely enough to help them scrape by.
However, things changed significantly when a group of women crusaded for the worker's rights, demanding better conditions and living wages. These changes were implemented just over a year ago, resulting in a dramatic turnaround for the factory and its workers.
Knights Apparel, the American business that now owns Alta Gracia, affords all workers rights and treats them with the respect they deserve.
Alta Gracia does not discriminate when hiring. According to factory worker Mariza Vargas, "Even women in the late stages of pregnancy can get a job at the factory."
Alta Gracia is monitored by the Worker Rights Consortium, which approves of the company's fair labor practices. Alta Gracia is also supported by United Students Against Sweatshops.
Alta Gracia exclusively manufactures T-shirts and sweatshirts for colleges. For the last two years, it has garnered the support of colleges throughout the U.S.
Madden visited the Alta Gracia factory last fall and has pushed for the University Shop to purchase Alta Gracia apparel.
"The successful union lets us claim and fight for our rights, but Alta Gracia only continues to succeed with the support of college students in the United States," Vargas says.
Student representatives ended the documentary by detailing the "intense" logistics involved in getting Alta Gracia products to be sold in the bookstore.
Although Villanova is an affiliate of the Worker Rights Consortium, previously, products from Alta Gracia-the only WRC-approved company-were not sold at the bookstore.
A small order was finally shipped to campus this week, but student representatives expressed confusion as to why the bookstore made this so difficult, especially considering that Alta Gracia does not cost the bookstore or students any more money.
"What we can do is to go to the bookstore and get everyone we can to purchase Alta Gracia products," Madden says, promoting the company's ethics.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent The Villanovan News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THE VILLANOVAN NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE VILLANOVAN NEWS
- I have come across several articles in the past couple of months that attempt...
- Take a second to pause before pressing the unfriend button
- Tossing the challenge flag in the field of University policy
- Talking politics can be detrimental to friendships
- Public Safety homecoming, event tailgates discussed
- Breaking Bad Silence explores male power
- West Campus Tunnel to see changes, SEPTA fails to act
RECENT THE VILLANOVAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Empowering People to Regain Their Mobility
- On-Site Workplace Health Clinics Emphasize Chiropractic Care
- 5 Important Tips for Choosing a Medicare Health Plan
- Welcome Your Holiday Guests With Inviting Lighting
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
- It's Official: Women Are the Decision-Makers Even When It...
- Where the Jobs Are: Why Relocating May Be the Best Option
- Value of Education Brings Success Among Unique Student...
- Is Faith Really a Good Thing?
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Renowned Engineer Ric Bradshaw Conducts Fujifilm-Sponsored Campus Tour on Tape Technology
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!
- Leading Digital Strategists Transform Digital Marketing In Business and Academia
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR TO VISIT SEVEN CAMPUSES ACROSS THE COUNTRY, ENGAGING STUDENTS TO COMBAT DISCRIMINATION AND DATING ABUSE
- OH HONEY ARE “SINCERELY YOURS” WITH NEW EP // HONDA CIVIC TOUR