Baseball swept during Arkansas roadtrip
Villanova's baseball season began with a three-game series this past weekend against the nation's fourth-ranked team and SEC powerhouse, the University of Arkansas.
Coming off of a 2011 season where Villanova was an underwhelming 20-32 with just a 7-20 mark in the Big East, the team looks to make a move toward the top of a Big East conference that is seemingly up for grabs.
In this early part of the season, only two Big East teams are nationally ranked: St. John's and Louisville.
In what was a tough matchup, the Wildcats did not fare very well.
During their trip to Fayetteville, Villanova was routed in all three games, beginning on Friday.
The three-game set commenced with what actually turned out to be the most respectable contest of the trio, with Arkansas topping Villanova, 11-5.
Arkansas quickly put the result of this contest out of doubt, with a six-run first inning off of senior left-hander Kyle Helisek. Three runs in the fourth and two more in the sixth gave Arkansas an 11-1 lead entering the seventh inning.
Senior outfielder Matt Fleishman led off the sixth with a double to the gap in right center, and subsequently scored on a pair of groundouts.
The lone highlight of the day for the Wildcats was a seventh inning grand slam by Fleishman.
The game, played at Arkansas' Baum Stadium in front of a crowd of 7,312, was the first of the season for each team, as Arkansas became 1-0 and Villanova ended the day at 0-1.
With the loss, Villanova fell under the .500 mark (5-6) in season openers under Head Coach Joe Godri in what was only the fourth series matchup against SEC teams during his tenure.
Things did not get much better as the calendar turned to Saturday, and the same two teams battled again at Baum.
Once again, the Razorbacks hung an early six runs, on the 'Cats this time in the second inning against sophomore right-hander Pat Young.
A run in the fourth put Villanova on the board, but Arkansas answered with two in the bottom of the inning and three more just two innings later.
The score had ballooned to 11-1, and the final tally was 13-1. The Wildcats had no trouble getting men on base, but left nine of them there, and when combined with three errors in the field, the result of this game was never in doubt.
Arkansas senior outfield Sam Bates went 3-for-4 with a home run and 5 RBI to propel the Razorback rout.
With the win, Arkansas was now 2-0, and had already won the three game set, with their eyes already set on completing the sweep the next day.
In the Sunday finale of the season-opening series, it was safe to say that the tumult continued, this time, to a tune of a 17-1 steamrolling by Arkansas.
Once again, the Razorbacks put together a big first inning, this time with a four run outburst.
However, no help was afforded for sophomore right-hander Max Almonte, whose effort was spoiled by two early errors.
The Wildcats did not break into the hit column until the sixth inning, when Fleishman, who hit safely in all three games, singled off of sophomore right-hander Barrett Astin. Arkansas finished with 17 runs on 17 hits, completing the three-game sweep of the Wildcats.
Next up for Villanova are a few days off until a trip to Norfolk, Va., for a three-game series with Norfolk State.
The series will take place from Friday through Sunday, as the Wildcats look to right the ship against a lesser Division 1 opponent.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More The Villanovan News Articles
Recent The Villanovan News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THE VILLANOVAN
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE VILLANOVAN NEWS
- How to turn your summer internship into a job
- Renfrew Center promotes positive body image, combats eating disorders
- Remembering the Boston Bombings, two years later
- Ten Signs...you've mentally checked out this semester
- 10 Totally Random Questions for... Keegan McCoy
- Marina and the Diamonds lose their shine with dull new album, “Froot”
- “Walking Dead” season five comes to life and impresses viewers
RECENT THE VILLANOVAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Natural Health Care From Down Under Poised to Make U.S....
- Wellness Travel Is on the Rise
- 3 Steps to Build a Better Nest Egg
- Para los latinos, el Día de las Madres es una...
- Top 4 Signs You Need to Call a Pest Professional
- Another Reason to Choose Chiropractic Care First for Pain...
- Create a Precious Moment for Mom This Mother's Day
- 4 Basic Exercises to Help Older Adults Improve Strength...
- New Drug May Help Control the Spread of Cancer
- Uber to Passengers: Our Drivers May Be Unsafe
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- TD Ameritrade Seeks Applicants for NextGen Financial Planning Scholarships, Grants
- Make it Count: Get the Most out of the End of the Semester!
- FARE's College Food Allergy Program Pilots in a Dozen Schools Nationwide
- HOTSHOT® HOT Canned Coffee gets a Jolt from Kickstarter
- From dating to internships - it's everything you need to know about college: The Her Campus Guide to College Life, Out Now